Any Google Chrome/Chromium or Opera experiences/reviews?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 2 15:43:27 UTC 2010

On 1 July 2010 18:18,  <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 12:40:01PM -0400, Myles Braithwaite wrote
>> I am a big fan of Google Chrome, but it will have the same problems
>> that you have with Firefox.
>
> [i3][root][~] emerge -pv www-client/chromium
> [...snippage...]
> Total: 9 packages (9 new), Size of downloads: 165,644 kB
>
> [i3][root][~] emerge -pv opera
> [...snippage...]
> Total: 4 packages (4 new), Size of downloads: 169,210 kB
>
>  And to think that I was whining about Firefox.  Sigh.  If I had a
> million dollars, and could hire a team of programmers, I'd launch a fork
> of Firefox already.

Given the origin of your complaints, you might be interested in uzbl
(http://www.uzbl.org/).  I love the idea: it's a web browser that
follows the Unix philosophy, ie. each program should be small and do
one thing really well.  No kitchen sinks, and it can be put in a
pipeline.  Extra functionality (ie. extraneous things like
printing(!)) are handled by optional plug-ins or pipelines.  As I say,
I love the *idea*, but in practical terms I'm not sure it's ready for
most of us to use day-to-day yet - not if flash is a concern.  I used
it some for web surfing for a day or two, but I don't know if I got to
the flash sites to test.  It seems to be evolving rapidly and is
definitely worth a look.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/