SIP dropouts? how do they sound?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 29 16:59:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This may sound odd but I have large banging noises in SIP connections over not
> so good lines. I thought there should only be drop-outs but it turns out there
> are huge banging noises when this happens. I have some idea about why this
> happens but I would like to know what other have seen. Most of the communication
> is between Linux hosts and SIP softphones on Linux and Windows based remote
> parties.

I never had that kind of problem with SIP.  I was on Primus (It's not
SIP, I know), and also used some of the free SIP
(non-landline-connected) services from Windows to Linux and Linux to
Linux.  I also use SIP daily at the office on dedicated Cisco
hardware.

Over the Internet, I did get the dropouts.  It created a reliability
problem and outside of the office, I've never bothered with VoIP over
the Internet for serious conversations since.

But no banging noises from my experiences, even when lines were
intolerably bad.  Just lots of cut-outs.

-Mike