Ubuntu's default search engine to change in deal with Yahoo

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 27 17:14:11 UTC 2010

| From: Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| "... As part of the deal, the Firefox Web browser that is
| shipped in Ubuntu will be configured to use Yahoo as the default
| search engine.

This is as complicated / weird as the branding of Olympic athletes.

As I understand it, Firefox is largely funded by Google in return for
Google being the default search engine for Firefox browsers.

Now Ubuntu is switching Firefox it ships to Yahoo (Bing?), Ubuntu will
get money.  Is this instead of Firefox getting money?  The article
suggests that Ubuntu was already getting money from Google (just not
enough) so maybe this does not affect Firefox funding.

But wait.  Dell's Ubuntu (bundled with vanishingly few products)
already used Yahoo and the revenue goes to Dell.

Next step: I will sell my desktop search-engine rights.  Who will bid
the highest?

I hope that Firefox continues to have sufficient funding.