virtualization and USB

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 27 15:56:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM, jim <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 05:10:12PM -0500, jim wrote:
>> > Thanks I added it and was able to get the latest version. Seems to be
>> > working quite well. One thing I noticed is at least one program won't
>> > work because of my graphics driver. The message says my video drivers
>> > didn't install properly or are out of date? I guess VirtualBox installs
>> > it's own video driver. Would it work if I installed a real Nvidia driver
>> > in it's place?
>>
>> No.  Virtual machines do NOT provide access to your real video card.
>> At least not yet they don't.
>
> Thanks Lennart. It's already amazing what they CAN do so ya guess that's
> asking a bit too much.
>
> Jim

It's all a bit convoluted, but makes sense in a way. Basically
virtualbox gets a driver for it's "Virtual Video Card" which then
through the VM ties into some of the supported features of your host
OS's video card/driver.

The video support is definitely getting better over time though. About
a year ago 3d stuff was pretty much non-existent. Then came support
for OpenGL, and more recently some experiment support for some of the
D3D functions. I'm hoping by the next release the D3D stuff will be
good enough for some of my old windows games :-)

To get all the extra features like integrated mouse support (you can
move your mouse over the VM and have it "just work" without needing
all that right-CTRL capture/uncapture annoyance), clipboard sharing
and/or the experimental video stuff, install the guest additions from
bottom option of the vbox "Devices" menu after your windows VM has
loaded. It'll pop up guest additions as if the CD-ROM had been
inserted, and install a bunch of helpful drivers/software. Hopefully
it'll help whatever app you're having issues with too.

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu