Options for bridging Linux and Windows filesystems

Matthew Godycki mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 26 20:06:18 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I'm looking for infrastructure options to bridge Windows and Linux filesystems.

A summary of some of the features I'd be looking for are:
- exporting a Windows file system to Linux
- exporting a Linux file system to Windows
- compatibility with NFS (ie, some of the file systems I'd like to export
  to windows may be NFS mounts)

A little bit of context about the infrastructure environment:
- mix of Windows machines for staff
- RHE infrastructure for all of our systems
- user accounts managed via Windows DC (ie, only system accts in
  Linux)
- managing authorization to file system resources generally done via Windows DC

With my knowledge, Samba seems like a natural fit as a solution to this
situation.  However, from prior discussions with our infrastructure folks I
know there's been some questions regarding Samba being sufficiently
secure.  Are there any other options I should be looking at?  The last
time I dealt with Samba was probably '99 or so, I'm sure things have
changed since then.

Thanks in advance,
-Matthew

P.S.  The NFS-related info I seeked several weeks ago was great, we're
now in the process of rolling out NFS v4 as a result!