The 20 most popular passwords

Renata Rocha natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 26 03:33:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 18:53, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Gary Layng <glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
>
> | http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5325&tag=trunk;content
>
> Nice.
>
> I've very impressed that 123456 is almost four times as popular as
> 12345 (which is just slightly ahead of 123456789).
>
> They don't tell you how many distinct passwords were used so the
> absolute number of users of these common passwrds isn't as meaningful
> as it might be.
>
> The top 5000 passwrdw are used by 20% of the users.
>
> I'm surprised that iloveyou(5), princess(6), and babygirl(13) are as
> high as they are.  Perhaps something to do with the subject matter of
> rockyou.com (whatever that is).
>
> Most humans cannot remmeber a large collection of distict strong
> passwords.  Expecting them to do so is just stupid.  Mocking them for
> failing is rude: the fault is in the system designers.

I used to have passwords generated from serial numbers from easy to
find objects around me, like my air conditioning unit, an old monitor.
Looking around my workplace helps remembering without having to
writing them down.

Serial numbers are nice, big, and have both numbers and letters. And
usually don't mean anything.

But lately due to security policies I have been using randomly
generated passwords by pwgen. It supposedly gives you pronounceable
passwords. I find them easier to memorize, so I use them.

I'm kinda psycho with passwords, I have more than 10 different.
--
Renata Rocha
re-9siASaY8nq0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/renatarocha