Looking for speakers on High Performance Computing at GTALUG

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 25 21:52:38 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:28:52PM -0500, Myles Braithwaite wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Lennart Sorensen
>> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> Please tell me you meant s/Distrusted/Distributed/g.
>> *Blow face in shame* Yes.. Would you like to do the talk on
>> Distributed Programming?
>
> I wouldn't consider myself qualified for it.  I know in involves openMPI
> and such, but I haven't done any.  I do love those systems though.
>
> I am still wondering what a distrusted filesystem would be like.  Does the
> application have to assume the filesystem can't be trusted and add all
> sorts of redundancy, error correction and checksums itself?

It depends on how many systems and of what kind are accessing the shared
drive. The simplest is DRBD which can be thought of as RAID 1 over
ethernet. It handles locking at the (virtual) block layer. Once setup,
it can be used as a normal block device with the main requirement being
that the FS is journaled. Ideally, you'd use something like LVM in
cluster aware mode if you want to run in Master/Master.

It really depends on how you want to approach it and what you are trying
to accomplish.

Madi