virtualization and USB

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 25 21:29:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:33:01PM -0500, jim wrote:
> I'm thinking of setting up a Virtual Machine but wondering if anyone has
> any suggestions/opinions on how I should go. I installed the open source
> version of VirtualBox then realized it didn't support USB , only the
> enterprise version. I don't mind paying the $50.00 if the USB
> functionality works. I'd be using Windows 7 as a guest. Also I would
> want to use Bluetooth on the guest. The USB devices I would be using are
> printers and some FTDI based devices ie. USB to Serial etc. Just
> wondering if people think KVM would be better or VMWare  or stick with
> VirtualBox. Any thoughts?

I believe kvm supports USB device passthrough.  I haven't tried.

Certainly the qemu options (almost all of which kvm uses too) say:

       -usbdevice devname
           Add the USB device devname.

           "host:bus.addr"
               Pass through the host device identified by bus.addr (Linux only).

           "host:vendor_id:product_id"
               Pass through the host device identified by vendor_id:product_id (Linux only).

           "serial:[vendorid=vendor_id][,productid=product_id]:dev"
               Serial converter to host character device dev, see "-serial" for the available devices.

I certainly am through with vmware.  I won't ever use it again.

--
Len Sorensen