mythtv and hidef tv cards suggestions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 25 16:29:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 04:08:28PM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> Hello Fellow Tlugers :)
>
> I was wondering if I can rebring a topic up :) What hidef cards are
> relatively ok in price that you guys can suggest work with mythtv?
>
> I was hoping that I could get one that works with Hidef rogers cable
> set top box?

I have a rogers 4250HD box connected by firewire to mythtv.  I get about
200 channels that way in pure digital.  I haven't counted how many are
HD, but certainly some are.  It took me 3 weeks to get going since I
kept getting errors initially.  Turns out the firts firewire cable I got
at tigerdirect was broken (a cheaper one from canada computers worked
much better), and the firewire controller on an nforce2 is crap too,
while the via one in my mythtv box works fine (as does the ricoh in my
thinkpad SL500) when using a working cable.

If you want to get ALL the channels you subscribe to, then the HD-PVR
USB adapter from haupauge connected to the component output of the cable
box and using an IR blaster (which I believe the USB device includes)
will give you all of them, but it does involve going analog temporarily
and recompressing.  Basicly some channels are flagged with copy protection
and then you don't get a signal on firewire at all.  Why CBC HD is
flagged and CTV HD is not I have no idea.

--
Len Sorensen