How do I restore a broken Vista Partition without breaking Linux?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 23 18:41:36 UTC 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, jim wrote:
> I just let Ubuntu do it's thing when I installed it over
> Windows.

I never just let any OS do that when I do OS install, at least
review it. :-)

> /dev/sda1 fat32 Recovery 9.7 GB
> /dev/sda2 ntfs /media/VistaOS     150 GB
> /dev/sda3 extended	 139 GB
> 	/dev/sda5	ntfs /media/Data 26 GB
> 	/dev/sda6	ext3 /		 109 GB
> 	/dev/sda7	linux_swap       4 GB
>
> I'm assuming the Recovery partition is Expess Gate, the fast
> bootup option?

I believe the Recovery partition is indeed copy of the whole
Recovery CD. If you manage to boot to Recovery partition, then
you can do the whole disk Recovery from there. I has seen this
in MS Windows machines from major OEM. However, sometime they
require the MBR to be correct, as my experience with my office's
Dell. So after installing Linux, the whole partition may be
useless (especially if you have the Recovery CD anyway).

> Not sure how that ntfs Data partition got in there.

Probably you should review its content first. Make sure nothing
important there.

Seeing that your Linux only in single partition, copying it to
other disk will be even easier.

> Thanks for the advice. Hopefully next time I install I'll get
> the partitioning right.

Actually yours already follow most of Evan's suggestion, i.e.
having all Linux partition in extended partition.

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/

** Happy New Year! Felix dies Nativitatis! http://advent2009.com/ **