"linuxy" smartphones

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 23 15:50:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 08:27:36AM -0700, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Based on its capabilities and pricing, I'm thinking that the Nokia
>> N900, which is entirely more "Linux user friendly",
>
> Maemo seems to be much closer to ordinary Linux distribution than other
> mobile phone's linux, both in architecture and development model.

Maemo is Debian based.  In theory one can use apt-get to install
software.  It's more like a tiny netbook than a cell phone.

>> I could get an N900 for ~$600 at Newegg.
>
> No place to get it in Canada, I guess? :->

Rumour is that Windmobile will be selling the N900 soon without a
contract.  Currently Windmobile is the only Canadian carrier that offers
3G on the correct frequency.  The N900 on Roger's or Fido would only get
EDGE speeds.

--
Neil Watson
Linux/UNIX Consultant