Min-ITX boards, dual LAN/core

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 22 16:04:50 UTC 2010

> Hmm, well it would be for me LAN-server. I've been trying to find
> comparisons between the C7 (C7-D I think) and the atom. The VIA nano
> might also be an option. Other CPU's that are light on power
> consumption might also do, but I'm not aware of anything that does X86
> really gets close to the current C7 other than the nano.
>
> Other than the general CPU speed and power consumption, the other main
> areas of focus was how well it does encryption (especially for
> handling a steamed SSL connections) and/or audio/video encoding,
> mythtv etc.

The openrd-client has AES, DES and 3DES as well as SHA1 and MD5 in
hardware.

> The current machine used to run on a 50-60W brick with the drives etc,
> and never seemed to flinch at that. It's got a mini-PSU now with the
> new case, but I wouldn't want to go too much beyond the current
> consumption.

The openrd-client uses 7.2W average.  Idle 4.8W.  Add a disk and you
should expect another 5W or so.  Each USB port can also uses a few
watts depending on the device connected.  Maximum with all USB ports,
HDD and Ethernet in use is 30W.

It's hard to beat an arm processor for low power consumption.

I haven't found out what video chip it has yet, so I am not sure what
it can do for video decoding.

I really should get one of these little toys.

Unfortunately it appears that the 88F6xxx series don't have FPU, so
floating point performance would suck.

The MV7xxxx have FPU and are dual issue superscaler and even faster.
The MV78200 is actually a dual core 1.2GHz arm.

--
Len Sorensen