Notebooks on Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 15 21:25:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 06:58:17PM -0200, Renata Rocha wrote:
> I believe I want something that doesn't exist: a cheap, 12" notebook
> that works fine under linux.

Well my wife has an EEEpc 1008HA, which does actually work quite well
with Linux (although when she got it in may the wired ethernet was broken
in linux, although wifi worked.  Now both should work).  Being an atom
based it is not fast by any means.

> The Thinkpad SL series has only 14" or 15" notes. I really think these
> are really big/heavy for me (oh the poor little girl)

Certainly much heavier than the netbooks.

What you apparently want is an ideapad U150 (11.6") or U350 (13.3"),
which lenovo has, but in the US.  They don't currently seem to offer
them in canada (even though they describe them and mention they exist).

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/ideapad/u-series

They are available with proper Core 2 Duo CPUs, so they are real
notebooks.

Example specs of one U150:
http://www.laptopspec.net/2009/11/lenovo-ideapad-u150-690969u-blacksky-star/
Lenovo IdeaPad U150 Laptop Technical Details:

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 Processor ( 1.30GHz 800MHz 3MB )
* Main Memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
* Graphic system: Intel Integrated Graphics X4500
* Display: 11.6 ” HD WXGA LED 1366×768
* Hard Disk: 320GB 5400
* Webcamera: 1.3 Mega Pixels
* Optical Disc Drive: 8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 16x CD-R/RW Combo Drive
* Wireless Type: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 5100
* Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR
* I/O Port: 2 USB, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 eSATA, 1 LAN
* Fingerprint: Yes
* Card Reader: 7 in 1
* Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
* Battery: 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
* Weight: 3.33 pounds (1.5 kg)
$750 US.

That is a rather nice feature set.  The intel 5100 wifi works very well
in linux.  DVD writer in such a small machine is impresive.  HDMI is
nice too in addition to VGA so you can do DVI connections.

Now if only they would sell it in Canada (bastards).  I wonder if they
don't have a "french" version yet, and hence are not allowed to sell it
or something stupid like that.  Or maybe they just don't want to.

--
Len Sorensen