Templating system for documents

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 15 04:05:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:50:08 -0500
William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I have to format a bunch of documents, on an on-going basis, to a
> specific format - the output format is PDF.
>
> These documents get handed to me in MS Word files, and right now my only
> method is to paste content into existing Word files.  It's horrible -
> weirdness creeps in immediately, and there is no way to distinguish
> semantic from stylistic content.
>
> I've used desktop publishing platforms and authored documents for the
> web, and I've also used LaTeX - none of these systems seems right for
> what I want to do.  Does anyone have a method for creating correctly
> styled documents without terrible pain and suffering?

William,

   In either Open Office or Microsoft Word, pull down the formatting menu and look at Styles and Formatting.  If you can figure this out, it is a powerful tool for imposing semantic logic to your document.

   I like to rant on this subject.  I am preparing notes for my website, but they are not ready yet.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org