Keyboards - Availability in Canada

Amanda Yilmaz ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 14 00:53:21 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> French Canadian is a PC only thing invented by IBM.  I don't think the
> Macintosh ever used it, nor any other system type that I know of.

It wasn't a PC-only thing. Early Macintosh computers used a similar
layout (I know because I took a good look at one while visiting a
computer store in Quebec City in 1985, and developed a layout-switching
desk accessory based on it). Canadian French typewriters also used to
have a similar layout, and I'm guessing IBM and Apple simply developed
their Canadian French layouts based on the common typewriter layout of
the time (though with some vendor-specific modifications).

Amanda