Keyboards - Availability in Canada

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 13 19:14:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:25 PM, William Muriithi
<william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Interesting. So if the Canadian government do not use them, who use
> them then? I assume the government would be the biggest consumer
> considering most of their employee are dual lingual (Official once I
> mean)
>
> Would you happen to know what the government uses by the way? France keyboards?

This one's not necessarily as one would assume...

The usual requirement tends to involve being bilingual in *spoken* language.

Being very highly capable in both languages in written form would tend
to primarily be required of translators, and while the Canadian
government probably has more of those than anybody other than the
British and French governments, it's still only a small portion of the
civil service.

And for those in the translation specialty, "dueling keyboards" won't
be a feature :-).  Much more effective for such staff to have *one*
keyboard (of whichever linguistic preference) that they get very good
with.

After all... Je peut utiliser mon "anglais" clavier pour ecrire un
texte francais.  I have never bothered figuring out accents on my
keyboard, but I don't need a different keyboard layout for that!

What I'd expect to be the case is that individuals might order
whichever keyboard they prefer to use, with there possibly being some
policy limitations.
Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html