Keyboards - Availability in Canada

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 13 15:42:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:45:25AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Several years ago, when I was working at IBM, my department developed
> standard desktop systems for IBM Canada employees.  We had to create
> both English and French versions and configured the French systems to
> use the Canadian French keyboard.

Based on what I have found, most people hate the french canadian layout
(which was supposedly designed by the IBM marketing department in Toronto
by attempting to make as few changes as possible to the US layout and
make it not look very french at all).  The canadian government does not
accept it for use.  I believe Apple puts a Canadian Multilingual keyboard
on their machines sold for use in french in Canada.  People seem to
generally really like that one.  It's a shame about the \ and |
positions though.  Otherwise I might actually want one.

--
Len Sorensen