Templating system for documents

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 12 21:31:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've used desktop publishing platforms and authored documents for the
> web, and I've also used LaTeX - none of these systems seems right for
> what I want to do.  Does anyone have a method for creating correctly
> styled documents without terrible pain and suffering?

The best solution I have seen thus far is to use DocBook (either XML
or SGML form), as the "authoring" form, and transform that into
RTF/PDF as needed.

That's not totally "friendly" - I'm not all that much of a fan of XML
- but it does "work," for some value of "work."

The challenge comes in trying to make the output "pretty" (for some
value of "pretty" ;-)); I've always hacked the DSSSL, myself, but
that's a grossly painful process.  I think that there's tooling for
using XSD stylesheets or something of the sort; have successfully
evaded involvement long enough to not know what's the best thing these
days.

There is a DocBook mailing list where you could ask such questions.
And see <http://docbook.org/>, of course.
Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html