GRUB update borks Debian testing

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 9 16:27:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> GRUB2 uses a highly abstracted set of scripts to generate its config
> files: I had a reasonably good grasp on the GRUB1 files, but GRUB2
> manages to be an order of magnitude more complex - and correspondingly
> less useful in my opinion.

I don't have any suggestions; I do have an "oh, dear, that's rather
terrible if that's the case" reaction :-(.

It sounds as though GRUB is something that people probably need to
understand a bit better, which is mostly a *bad* thing, as it's
"merely" a detail about booting.

I wonder if there is someone who is relatively expert with GRUB that
could do a talk?  It may be that there are a lot of details we may
successfully ignore nearly all the time.  But getting some sense of
the scope of what to be concerned about seems like a useful idea.

There are times we need more than LILO / SysLinux, but it seems like a
rather bad thing for GRUB to progress towards being nearly a kernel of
its own :-(.
Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html