kubuntu 9.10 dual monitor setup

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 8 23:38:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:45:17AM -0500, ted leslie wrote:
>> ah, ok, i use the binary drivers from nvidia site, they are very good about being up to date, and usually
>> bug free, so i just use them, and the nvidia-settings, and other app, i believe, are part of the
>> binary install.
>> If from source, i am not sure what is available for gui set up? maybe nothing.
>> i wonder if you could use the set up utils from the binary package from nvidia, whilst
>> using the nvidia kernel drivers  from source?
>
> Debian packages the driver, nvidia-settings and nvidia-xconfig.  no idea
> if ubuntu has them all packaged, but I would hope so.  There should
> never be a need to go to the crappy package from nvidia for anything.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen
> --

i definitely didn't have a nvidia compatible drive on my system after
a fresh kubuntu 9.10 install, ever after the system update.

I had to download nvidia driver and build that to get dual monitor to
work, thank goodness i had the driver downloaded because KDE kept
hanging on the 2nd bootup after i updated linux? so i had to boot to
rescue mode and build.

i also had to enable Xinerama mode, otherwise the 2nd monitor was a
black screen and i could not get anything over to it, only the mouse
cursor was displaying and it was the ugly X screen type not the KDE
pointer.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | http://DevMentor.org | Do Good! - Share Freely