Pidgin

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 8 14:57:07 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Devon Aitken <devonrose-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> My siblings used to use gaim with Linux. I'm a new Linux user and when I
> installed with sudo apt-get install gaim it came up as Pidgin. When I tried
> to use it it said that the server does not support our protocol. Is there
> anyway around this?

Regrettably, this happens to be one of the cases where the only way to
attain any sort of "stability" is by sitting on the "bleeding edge."

There has been something of a battle between folks running servers
(e.g. - Microsoft) and folks implementing clients trying to connect to
such servers.

If you're not on the latest version of software like Pidgin, it's
liable to be a version that the servers won't talk to.

It's highly unfortunate: for a lot of software, stability means not
needing to upgrade hardly ever, but this is a case where  you need to
slavishly track the VERY latest versions :-(.

Ted Turner  - "Sports is like a war without the killing." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/ted_turner.html