Moving an HD from one comp to another

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 6 16:49:28 UTC 2010

I have a 60Gb USB external 1.8" HD on which I've made a bootable
Debian testing installation.  It's intended for my Acer Aspire One,
which has a very small (8Gb) and slow SSD on-board.  This isn't a
great solution, but it makes some interesting things possible.  The
onboard SSD has a fully functional Debian testing install on it.

I did the external HD install on another laptop because arranging the
install on the AAO was just too much of a pain (it doesn't have a
DVD/CD drive and I didn't want to download netinst and make a bootable
USB key etc. etc.).  When I plug the external drive into the AAO it
boots up fine and everything works great ... except for the wired
Ethernet card.  The appropriate kernel modules appear to be loaded (I
compared it against the module list from the working install on the
AAO internal HD), but "ifconfig eth0 up" gets this response: "eth0:
ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device."  The main
difference in the modules list is that three unneeded firewire modules
load (the laptop that I did the install on has firewire).  Unloading
them doesn't remedy the situation.

Is there a simple way to convince the install to re-run the checks for
what modules to load, and/or to do the NIC set-up again?  Or is there
some other way to solve this?  Thanks.

For the curious, the external HD is noticeably but not hideously
slower than the internal SSD.  What I'm mostly doing this for is so
that I have the room to compile a custom kernel for the system.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org