Reallocated Sector Count = 67

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 6 02:25:24 UTC 2010

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> You haven't told us very much about the disk.
>
> How old is it?  What brand & model?  What's its warranty status?
>
> What does smartctl say about other drive health indicators?
>
> Have you experienced I/O errors on the drive?  Have you lost data?
>
> Have you run the manufacturer's diagnostic tools (eg. SeaTools for
> DOS, if Seagate)?

The drive is 8 months old and has 106.1 days of use. It is still under
warranty. It is a Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS, firmware version CC34,
serial number 9VP0GXSS, current temperature 30C, last self test
completed OK, Self Assessment passed, 67 bad sectors.
> | Anyone have any thoughts to share?
>
> I don't like a number that high, but that's opinion.
>
> I certainly don't like a number that is regularly increasing.  When an
> increase happens, that means that the drive thinks another sector has
> gone bad; each time might or might not be a case where you lose data.

I have not lost any data, and I have not seem are change in the number
of bad sectors.

I assume because the Palimpset Disk Utility is getting upset, that a
recent incident occured where new bad sectors were detected taking me
above the threshold of 36.

The utility gives a normalized value of 99 and worst as 99.

As I initially wrote, this is a utility that is new for the latest (and
recent) release of Ubuntu. Many discussion forums are active with users
asking about this, because many are getting the error.

I will download and run Seagate's utility on the weekend, and I will
monitor the number of bad sectors.

But all I really am looking for is a guide as to whether 67 bad sectors,
in and of itself, is reason to discard a drive.

Stephen