Retrieving emails from a dead server's hard drive

Tue Jan 5 22:37:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 04:31:34PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>>(For interest's sake, when I could get the machine to POST it beeps,
>>launches into the BIOS, and then the screen goes squizzy.)
>Does it actually go squizzy?  Or just mooshy?  ;-)

Entertainingly, it goes squizzy - the predominant BIOS background
colours are retained, but the screen devolves into small repeating
blocks of semi-random ick.  I would characterize mooshy as
multi-coloured snow.  I've never seen squizzy before.

(Perhaps we need a nomative taxonomy for video failure modes :-)
--

yours,

William