Retrieving emails from a dead server's hard drive

Tue Jan 5 21:30:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 04:21:48PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 03:22:01PM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> Where I would like advice is in the recovery of email.  Some of the
>> email users had not checked their mail between the 25th and the 31st,
>> and their mail is still sitting on the hard drive from the old server,
>> now in an enclosure.  It is in maildir format.  I would like to move it
>> to their active account, or redeliver it, but I am not sure how.  Any
>> suggestions?
>
>If it is maildir it should be trivial to just move the message files
>into place.  The message filename is partially based on the time it
>arrived and hence should be unique.

One thing that worries me is that the hostnames of the old server and my
desktop differ, so the filenames in the maildirs, which include the
hostname, will not be uniform.  I will test, and report back.

>> (For interest's sake, when I could get the machine to POST it beeps,
>> launches into the BIOS, and then the screen goes squizzy.)
>
>Lovely.  How does it beep?  The beep codes often tell a lot.

The beep is, annoyingly, the normal, expected beep.  When it beeps -
sometimes when I power cycled it, the PS would spin up, but there would
be no beep.  (Right now there is no hard drive in the box, so there is
little reason to try booting it)
--

yours,

William