which USB GPS device should I buy?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 5 17:28:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 11:06:14AM -0600, tug williams wrote:
> Ok I think my question has become... Can anyone recommend a WAAS capable
> hiking GPS with altimeter that talks to linux?
>
> I've now added MEC to my list of shops to look at, and they seem to have
> plenty to choose from. http://www.gpsbabel.org/ seems to support many
> file formats.

Well gpsbabel can talk to the USB port on the garmin etrex vista HCx
which has WAAS receiver and a barimeter.  I suspect a USB port is actually
more convinient these days than serial (which the many other units used).

The vista H model has 24MB internal flash rather than a microSD slot,
and is hence cheaper, but otherwise similar.  The HCx has a slightly
higher resolution screen and a better battery life (and I believe related
to the battery life, a newer more sensitive receiver).

My wife has the etrex Legen HCx (same as the vista but without the
barimeter) and really likes it.  It is a lot smaller than the picture
would make you think.  It is about 11 x 6 x 3cm and 156g (including a
pair of batteries).

--
Len Sorensen