dual booting

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 4 14:15:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 12:25:23PM -0800, William Park wrote:
> That's next in my list.
>
> I admit "virtualization" is useful for application testing.  But, it's useless for
> hardware testing (like the wireless problem above).  And, I'm not sure about
> its cost-effectiveness that's advertised. Netbooks/nettops are getting better
> and cheaper by the months.

Well what kind of hardware?  serial devices, USB devices and maybe a
few others can be tested with kvm.  I believe there is work going on to
allow a PCI device to be handed over to a kvm virtual machine as well
(not sure if this has happened already or not).

> My computer is almost max'ed out... full 8GB memory, all Samsung Spinpoint
> F3 harddisks (which are the best of non-SSD kinds).  I could upgrade to
> quad-core, but even if I get 4x linear improvement, it won't be enough.
> I guess I can go with a full-loaded i7 machine.  But, my VW diesel doesn't
> need a block heater.

The i7s don't run that hot.  That's what my wife's desktop has.
Nice quiet machine. :)

--
Len Sorensen