Ubuntu 8.04: X crashes during upgrade to 8.10

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 3 22:33:05 UTC 2010

I was just wondering if it is too late to recover this installation.

The initial error message, complete with BSOD (black screen of death) and a
frozen mouse and dialog window, said something about framebuffers (looked like
a problem from the X server). I had to give it the three-finger salute to get
it to respond, which it did by rebooting.

Attempts to reboot through the bootloader back into linux were met with the
fact that the boot loader couldn't find the hard drive to mount it, resulting
in a kernal panic. Looks like I will need to wipe stuff out and do a fresh
install of Ubuntu. Any advice?

I guess I can cut out all middlemen in the upgrade path and go straight to 9.10
now, that the installation broke. I was going to upgrade the recommeneded path
of 8.04->8.10->9.04->9.10, but I guess that is all academic now.

Paul