dual booting

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 3 20:25:23 UTC 2010

> From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
>
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 12:38:41PM -0800, William Park wrote:
> > I have bunch of partitions with various Linux distros, but that's just for
> > trying out hardware/software stuffs, most recently Wireless PCI cards.
> >
> > NOTE:  If your wireless is not working in 2.6.32.x, then turn the power
> > management off!  I don't know why, because it works in 2.6.31.x.
>
> Yeah I noticed that too.  Some wifi drivers don't seem to work right
> with power management.
>
> > Now, I'm playing with VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org).  God, it's slow...
> > My cpu is single-core AMD64 2.4GHz (LE-1620, 45W), but it can't this slow.
>
> Did you try kvm?  I think that CPU should run kvm.

That's next in my list.

I admit "virtualization" is useful for application testing.  But, it's useless for
hardware testing (like the wireless problem above).  And, I'm not sure about
its cost-effectiveness that's advertised. Netbooks/nettops are getting better
and cheaper by the months.

My computer is almost max'ed out... full 8GB memory, all Samsung Spinpoint
F3 harddisks (which are the best of non-SSD kinds).  I could upgrade to
quad-core, but even if I get 4x linear improvement, it won't be enough.
I guess I can go with a full-loaded i7 machine.  But, my VW diesel doesn't
need a block heater.

--William