GIMP digital-photo-noise-reduction questions

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 3 06:47:47 UTC 2010

  I've gotten myself a new Pentax K-X camera, and I'm trying out various
settings.  On a camera forum, people have suggested that a program like
GIMP or imagemagick can do a better job of noise reduction than the
built-in de-noiser firmware.  I've turned off the de-noiser, and taken
sample shots at all ISO settings, which I've uploaded JPEGS of to the
"initial" folder at...
> http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ebf53a21c2247895d0d290dca69ceb5cf761ff1a36003591ef687f17504eae2e

  There are a few noise-removal options I'm aware of...
  - a basic de-noiser setting in the UFRAW plugin
  - GMIC plugin
  - maybe others

  And because the noise-removal softens the picture, I need to use

  - filters => enhance => sharpen (or unsharp mask)

  They all seem to take some numeric parameters, which I don't
understand.  Can someone point me to tutorials for these or other
noise-removal options?  Under linux, of course <G>.