deciphering Dell's online store with regards to pre-installing RHEL

Richard Dice rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 2 19:33:28 UTC 2010

Hugh,

Thank you for your feedback.  Talking with Dell pre-sales is certainly on my
to-do list.  I just wanted to wait until Monday-Friday before talking with
them.  Sales people take time off, but TLUG never sleeps. :-)

Since the licenses differ so much in price, the differences must be
> important.

My guess right now is that it's the difference between the RHEL licenses
that I can buy as a consumer for $400/year that give me next-to-no tech
support, and those that do provide tech support, which are more like
$2500/year.  (Prices correspond to my vague memory on this stuff from the
last time I checked this out, about 2 years ago.)

In fact, your email prompted me to dig around in the Red Hat web site, where
this can be found: http://www.redhat.com/rhel/purchasing_guide.html

AP seem to mean "Advanced Platform", which means it has no limit to the # of
processors on your board (whereas the basic RHEL is 2-sockets-only
[therefore the "2S" in the Dell line item]) or how many virtual machines it
will support, and AP has at minimum "standard" support, whereas basic RHEL
comes default with "basic" support.

 It is probably critical for you to understand the licenses
> anyway, so you shouldn't count on our answers.

I won't be buying anything before I understand it fully (+/- delta).  Your
advice here is spot on IMHO.

Cheers,
  - Richard