deciphering Dell's online store with regards to pre-installing RHEL

Richard Dice rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 2 18:51:31 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of investigating a server purchase, and one of the
options I am considering is a Dell tower (server configuration)
pre-installed with RHEL 5.3.  When looking at the options they provide on
this item, here are two of the choices:

 * Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3, 2S, FI x64, 3yr, Auto-Entitle, Lic & Media
(About $1300 for 3 years)
 * Red Hat Enterprise Linux 53AP, x32&x64, 3yr, FI x64, Auto-Entitle  (About
$3500 for 3 years)

I've got to say, I'm disappointed that Dell's web site doesn't offer some
kind of "What's this?" documentation next to each option.  I'm hoping some
of you smart and experienced folks out there can offer some help along these
lines regarding the "shorthand" terms in the two line-items.

Specifically, what is "5.3 vs 53AP"?  (I.e. What is "AP"?)  What is 2S?
(Good for up to 2 sockets, maybe?)  What's with the second option talking
about x32 and x64, considering that the server's CPU architecture is going
to be x86_64 either way?  What does "FI" mean?

Many thanks,
 - Richard