semi-OT: multiple monitors with Dell Inspiron 530

Renata Rocha natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 2 16:28:06 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 02:31, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The previously mentioned Samsung monitor is now attached to a Dell
> Inspiron 530 (a desktop, not a laptop).  The machine has built-in
> Intel video, which would have worked fine for my purposes, except I
> wanted dual head.  So I bought a Nvidia 6200 based dual head PCI-E
> card, which I've been reasonably happy with.  I already have two LCDs
> attached to the Dell, but it would appear that it's impossible to add
> a third to this machine.  I've updated the BIOS to the latest version
> and it's still impossible to use the onboard and PCI-E video cards at
> Is there any way to get around this?  So far I've come up with "never
> buy Dell again" - I'm not just forestalling Lennart here, I'm totally
> disgusted with them.  The one good thing about this machine is the
> 2.4GHz C2Q chip, which is wonderful.  The only other option seems to
> be buying a new mobo.  But that would recommend a new case, and
> probably a new video card, memory ... oh wait, that's practically
> buying a new computer.  So no, I don't want to follow that route just
> yet.  But I'd really like to have three monitors ...

I have a Dell optiplex workstation at work with an ATI Dual-head video
board. I had some hard time configuring it, but some time ago finally
got it working.

I know your configs are completely different, but, if you want my
xorg.conf for reference

 http://renata.org/post/dois-monitores-com-video-intel-no-linux/

(It's in pt-br, but what matters is the xorg.conf.  I use Ubuntu at
work and I can translate the post if someone is interested. And
although the title says "intel" it is indeed ATI - my notebook uses
intel and I got confused when I wrote the text. No donut for me)

--
Renata Rocha
http://renata.org