dual booting

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 2 01:46:48 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 12:55:35PM -0800, William Park wrote:
>> My motherboard is Asus M2N-E (fairly old one).  When I press <F8> during boot,
>> I get a list of devices to boot from (ie. harddisks, cdroms).  I did notice that
>> Ubuntu, OpenSUSE (may be Fedora) change the name and then order of devices.
>> But, Slackware and CentOS are predictable and familiar.
>
> Well I no longer rely on device names.  I use UUID for everything.
> Of course I also don't tend to have windows on my machine either.
> I think my laptop still has it installed, although I have no idea if it
> still boots.
>
> As for ordering that would be entirely dependant on the kernel, not the
> distribution (although whether the distribution uses udev or similar
> to manage device names is another story or if it uses labels or UUIDs
> for mounting).
>
>> Right now, my boot "tree" goes something like this:
>>     /dev/sdb -- /dev/sdb1 -- Slackware64 (my main)
>>                                      -- /dev/sda (jump to second harddisk MBR)
>>                                      -- /dev/hda (jump to first harddisk MBR)
>>
>> So, unattended boot ends up with Slackware64 on /dev/sdb1.  I can boot from
>> /dev/sda or /dev/hda, from LILO bootloader or from BIOS boot menu.  Key
>> insight is to have each harddisk or each partition be responsible for its own.
>>
>> However, GRUB only works when I boot into that harddisk directly from BIOS.
>> LILO (Slackware is the only one using LILO) and Windows are more "tolerant";
>> I can boot them after 2 or 3 indirect steps.
>
> I gave up on lilo many years ago.  To inflexible.
>
>> Same here.  I just give the whole harddisk to Windows, and let it do whatever
>> to it.  The same for Linux.  Harddisks are cheap, especially if you don't throw
>> way old disks.
>
> Most laptops only have one disk, so sharing is the only option.  On a
> desktop you have more choices.

F! Windows did not want to install, not sure why, but it kept hanging
during booting off the CD. I tried another CD same thing. I had to wipe
my entire drive, fdisk it and destroy all the partition before the CD
was happy to install. I didn't have anything to lose other than time! So
now Windows is getting install first on the 1st partition which I am
guess is where it wants to F! belong???

Totally pissed, I had a nice Linux setup which I am going to have to
recreate over again.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | http://DevMentor.org | Do Good! - Share Freely