dual booting

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 1 14:41:46 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 06:07:04AM -0500, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>> I managed to install Kubuntu 9.10 on my laptop, the updated install CD
>> seems to have fixed previous install bugs. This time the install went
>> well.My audio works and I don't get a blank screen and hang after a
>> reboot.
>>
>> I've usually installed Windows first then installed Linux and allowed
>> the installer to find Windows to setup the dual boot. This time I am
>> doing thing the other way around.
>
> Windows doesn't give a shit about other OSs nor the users interest in
> those other OSs.  So why would you make your life painful by doing it
> in a way you know is simply stupid?

I really didn't want to install windows, but unfortunately my trading
platform only runs on windows so I need access to it on my laptop. I
maybe give virtualbox a try first and see it I can live with the lag.

>> So what do I need to save, backup? How to I get grub repaired to dual
>> boot? I am assuming Kubuntu 9.10 is using grub 2.0?
>
> Boot the installer, mount the Linux drives, chroot there, and reinstall
> grub to the MBR and then figure out how to add the windows partition to
> the grub menu if you don't have something like update-grub that might
> do it automatically (It seems Debian testing/unstable at least can auto
> detect windows partitions now and add them to grub's menu).

I know how to add the window partition to grub following what I have on
my box which I can dual boot, my question should have been how to
reinstall grub only from the live CD.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | http://DevMentor.org | Do Good! - Share Freely