OT: Cyrillic character domain names

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 1 07:19:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:04:54PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote

> Note that if ICANN were to refuse to accept IDN name registration,
> this would be likely to increase the risk of a splitting of the root,
> as countries that:
>  a) Don't use Latin characters, and
>  b) Are powerful enough to be important on the world stage, and
>  c) Are prideful enough to like dominance over Latin-based portions
>     of the world are likely to be willing to go their own way.

  So we might not be able to see foreign phishing sites. Let's hear
it... one... two...  three... awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

  At first, Firefox blocked IDN by default.  Then it switched to enabled
by default for trusted TLDs that claim to prevent homograph attacks.  If
you want to totally block domains with non-ascii characters, in
about:config, set network.enableIDN to false.  As a compromise you can
set network.IDN_show_punycode to true.  This will allow Firefox to
access sites with non-ascii characters, but the non-ascii characters
will show up in a special encoded format, which may be sufficient to
make the domain name show up as not being the real thing.  There's also
a list of whitelisted TLDs in the format network.IDN.whitelist.*

  To test things out, go to http://www.tel4u.gr/support.html and click
on the link just after the string "Example: Try visiting".  I can get it
working if I set network.enableIDN to true.