Getting my Accomdata external SATA drive to work

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 1 01:22:36 UTC 2010

Hi

I have been having problems configuring my Acomdata external HD (using
firewire) on to Feisty Fawn (Ubuntu 8.4.x). The disk to be mounted is a
fully-formatted NTFS drive (this is because my local machine is dual
boot).

After some dismembering and poking, I find that my HD is a 1TB Seagate
Barracuda (STX-ST31000340AS), and found through dmesg|less that it was
recognised, but never mounted. It was under /dev/sdb. So, I
mounted /dev/sdb1 by hand under /media, and things have been OK for now.
I have even mounted it as a share so my Windoze boxes can see it. That
was tested out also (disappointed by the slowness, as it is a multimedia
drive -- Ubuntu seems slower than Windows at delivering the bytes to my
Windows VLC player -- but that's a different problem).

My problem now, is that if, for some reason I have to boot Linux, there
is a likelihood that the kernel may choose to assign something other
than /dev/sdb to mount it on, as I know from past experience. Using the
label ("Acorn") has been documented to work, but never has for me. The
line in /etc/fstab which began "LABEL=acorn" had to be changed
to /dev/sdb1, so that it could mount. When it does, an icon labelled
"acorn" appears on my desktop.

The other way to do it, is to use "UUID=<...>". Any ideas on how to get
the UUID?

Paul King