last day to register inexpensively for (Ottawa) Linux Symposium

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 28 22:42:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> $275 is expensive if you don't have that kind of money, or a job.

Well, for the convenience of the large number of kernel hackers that
spend *thousands* of dollars to fly in from all over (e.g. -
transcontinental flights), they need to have a location that allows
them to spend their time in valuable ways.

*Someone* has got to pay for it, and I see no particular problem with
the costs being spread across the attendees.

It's cheap in comparison with (say) professional society conferences;
a quick browse shows that ACM, IEEE, Usenix, INFORMS all tend to
charge about twice that much, typically offering discounts about equal
to annual professional membership fees.

OLS needs to pay for a venue, just the same as anyone else.

And I think Stallman would agree with the notion of them charging as
much as possible.  He even says such, albeit in the context of selling
software, rather than conference registration, but I don't think
there's any contradiction there.
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html>