getting rid of paper files

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 27 22:35:54 UTC 2010

We have boxes and boxes of paper files -- various kinds of records.  These
records continue to flow in.  They are not uniform: there are many kinds
of records.

This is a small organization -- only a couple of us need to access the
files.

Some files must be retained for a long time.

I'm wondering if it is practical to move this stuff to disks.

- we need to be able to scan the files quickly and easily for this to be
  practical.  Initially batches would be scanned, but eventually paper
  would be scanned as it dribbles in.

- we need to be able to find the files long after they are captured.  So
  some kind of index structure is needed.  It needs to be flexible and
  simple.

- at least some of thethe files need to preserved forever.  So a simple
  and open system is important.  An active discipline of duplicating and
  porting will be required.

- the records are for more than one entity so it would be good to be able
  to keep them separable.

Is anything like this available?  Simple?  Cheap?  Fast?  Good?
Supported by open source?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanner that will do decent sheet
feeding, isn't too big, has Linux support, and isn't too expensive?  Are
MFCs reasonable?

(I acquired a Canon DR-3080C sheetfed scanner from FreeCycle.  It
looked plausible.  Unfortunately, there is no Linux support.  Even the
MS Windows support is hard to get.
<http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDSoftwareAct&fcategoryid=2341&modelid=512>
has a driver that only supports XP and earlier and the CapturePerfect
software will only update a previously installed version.  This kind
of hardware might otherwise be appropriate.)