best place to buy laptop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 26 20:00:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:10:41AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | You've got to remember that BB & FS "optomize" the laptops they sell,
> | and when you ask for a laptop that isn't "optomized", they tell you
> | they don't have any of those, etc. You can always check out
> | TigerDirect.
>
> What does "optomize" mean?
>
> I last bought a notebook from BB about 2.5 years ago and had no such
> experience.
>

> Sometimes Staples has good deals when they are trying to get rid of
> old stock.  Sometimes even then their prices are high.  I've heard
> rumours that some Staples stores degrade these deals by requiring you
> to buy some add-on package.  Is this what "optomize" means?
>

> As Madi indicated, Red Flag Deals often points out really good
> direct-from-Lenovo deals.
>

> There is a fair variety in notebooks.  It is important to decide what
> you want and need first.  My second notebook was a powerhouse with a
> great screen and processor.  I discovered that the fact that it
> weighed over 8 pounds was more important.  My subsequent notebooks
> have been very small and light.
>
> Notebooks usually get obsolete fairly quickly.  One can justify
> replacing a cheap one more quickly than an expensive one.  So I lean
> towards cheap ones.  On the other hand, if you are going to use it a
> lot, you might get your money's worth out of a better notebook quickly
> enough.

The X201 from lenovo coming out soon looks very nice.

12" 1280x800 screen, with 4 to 9 cell battery options, and weight as
low as 1.5kg I believe, with about 2kg for one with a decent battery.
Battery life should be 6 to 12 hours depending on battery, and they use
Core i7 and i5 CPUs, rather than the dreadfully slow atom.  The X201s is
the slim lightweight version, the X201 is regular, and the X201 tablet
is, well, a tablet PC with multitouch capacitive touch screen as well.
Too bad the tablet version will be close to $2000.

--
Len Sorensen