best place to buy laptop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 26 19:55:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:25:26AM -0500, Digimer wrote:
> I've gotten to the point where I buy directly from the OEM. It takes a
> bit longer, but you get exactly what you want with no middle-men. Also,
> get the extended warranty, no matter who you go with. Modern laptops,
> all of them, suck from a quality point of view. I've seen *way* too many
> new laptops die just outside of their warranty these days.
>
> As for which specific models; ASUS and Lenovo are decent. I've owned
> both, and I've had to RMA both, but in both cases it was fixed. I have
> to say, ASUS was by far the easiest and fastest to deal with, and I'd
> have no hesitation recommending them. Bonus points for ASUS; Their depot
> is in Markham and they let you drop off/pick up your RMA. Their turn
> around for me was 24 hours.

They also have an arrangement with a large computer store downtown now
that deals with service in addition to the markham location.

> Lenovo was more of a hassle to deal with, but their T400s is probably
> the best business laptop on the market. Very powerful processor,
> excellent screen and up to 8GB RAM. They've also got pretty good deals
> going on fairly often (25~35% off) and you can customize your machine
> quite a bit.

I have heard of cases where lenovo is a pain to deal with for service,
and I have heard of cases where they were super easy and sent out a
replacement HD for a failed drive by fedex overnight.

At the moment my wife needs the headphone jack fixed on her eeepc, and
asus is being difficult (keeps saying they have to have someone call back,
well its been a week and they haven't called yet).  I am sure once an
RMA number is issued it will be fixed in 24 hours, but we have to get
one first.  It wasn't like this last time I had to deal with asus.

> Keep an eye on Red Flag Deals for the really good promo codes.

25 to 30% is good. :)

--
Len Sorensen