Canada on US "special 301" watch list

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 22 15:07:01 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Canada is tentatively on the US Special 301 watch list as a copyright
> violating country.
>
> Ars Technica and Geist point out a very nice submission to the USTR by the
> US CCIA (computer company group).
>
> <http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/02/canada-no-country-is-farther-behind-on-online-copyright.ars>
> <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4802/125/>
> <http://www.ccianet.org/CCIA/files/ccLibraryFiles/Filename/000000000321/CCIA-2010-Spec301-cmts.pdf>
>
> I found the 11 page submission quite readable and worthwhile.

A couple days ago, a thread was started on the Pirate Parties
International mailing list about how Free/Libre & Open Source software
is being directly attacked by the 301 in Brazil.

Yesterday, a short article was posted on Digital Copyright Canada
which sums it up rather nicely: [the] IIPA would rather people
"pirate" than switch to legal competitors.

[snippet]
The International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA) tipped their
hand a bit in this years submission to the “Special 301" report
process. While they again attacked Canada for having strong copyright
law that is different than the USA, the most telling was their
opposition to policies encouraging legally free of charge Open Source
in their submissions for Brazil, India, Indonesia, Philippines,
Thailand, and Vietnam
[/snippet]

http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/5115

The article links to the reports for each country.  I haven't had the
time to read them yet but what I heard from Brazil really ticks me
off.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/   @psema4