OT: Toronto street lights sale

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 22 14:55:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:31 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/767968
>
> Thanks!  I'm glad you brought this to our attention.
>
> The article does not mention anything about using the poles for siting
> WIFI access points.  At the time I had thought that this was the real
> point of the deal.
>
> Siting access points could be hard and the poles could have been
> really valuable for this add-on application.  Another monopoly for
> THES.
>
> As far as I've noticed (i.e. not at all), Toronto Hydro's plan for
> WI-FI coverage has not really caught on.  Anybody know?

Well, it is still in operation in part of downtown Toronto, but...
Also, I see that OneZone is now being run by cable company Cogeco.
Details to be seen here:

http://www.onezone.ca/

It would have been nice to have a local ISP that wasn't tied to/using
the cable or phone company infrastructure, if only to keep the above
two honest...

Colin.