PulseAudio

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 19 17:07:16 UTC 2010

The system does appear to see the soundcard:

scribe at scribe14:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                     HDA NVidia at 0xfe024000 irq 22
scribe at scribe14:~$ lspci | grep -i audio
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)

but dmesg seems to show nothing:

scribe at scribe14:~$ dmesg | grep -i "sound|audio|snd"
scribe at scribe14:~$

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I found a couple things when updating to karmic on various machines
> that could case this:
>  - Gnome/pulse found a different "default" soundcard than what they should have
>  - PA set the volume to nothing in the sound panel mixer, or turned on mute
>  - Wrong "profile" in the hardware settings of the sound prefs
>
> If you have a .asoundrc file in your homedir you may need to nuke that too
>
> Are you seeing your soundcard? Is the pulseaudio daemon loading?
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Thomas Milne
> <tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Ha! So it finally got to me. So far on my home machine it's been no
>> problem, so I've been wondering why everyone hates Pulse so much.
>>
>> Until now. At work we upgraded all the machines to Karmic Koala and
>> now a lot of them have no sound. If you saw how we do our jobs, you
>> would understand what a horrifying thing this is ;)
>>
>> Anyhow, I remember some threads on here a while ago about fixing this
>> by using good 'ol OSS, but as these are work computers I thought I
>> would ask before I start trying some of the solutions. Is this really
>> the tried and true method?
>>
>> I also found this link. Anyone else solve it like this?
>>
>> http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1395089
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> TBM
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

> Tyler Aviss
> Systems Support
> LPIC/LPIC-2/CLA
>
> “Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
> is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu

TBM