bluetooth tethering TO a desktop

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 19 05:14:47 UTC 2010

Hi Everybody,

I have a bit of a strange problem, and my google-fu has failed me thus far.

Recently the WiFi chip in my Nokia N770 appears to have fully gone kaput.
Fortunately, the Bluetooth on the N770 appears to still be working.

What I want to do is make my Linux desktop lie and say that it's a
dial-up-modem (like a cellphone).  Then I want to pair the N770 to the
desktop (acting like a phone) and have the desktop ignore the cellular
dial-up settings coming from the N770, and instead just serve up a PPP
session giving the N770 internet access.

Unfortunately my N770 is no longer under warranty, and I only use it
in the living room anyways (where the Linux desktop is).

Thanks for any hints, clues, or fully formed right answers. :)

-Jing