turn up volume on soundcard software

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 18 19:09:52 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:57:50AM -0500, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I don't see a 'FRONT' slider. The 'Master's are '00' not 'MM' (which, I
>> assume is the mute feature). I may be expecting too much from an on
>> board sound card. The sound engineer that gets me my recording equipment
>> (and gives me support) is trying to help me eliminate a high-pitch
>> squeal (I don't know if that's the best descriptor - it's kind of like a
>> high-pitch tinnitus whine, which is doubly no-fun for me as I actually
>> have tinnitus) that I get when my linux computer is the source going
>> into my MACKIE BIG KNOB studio command system (which sends the signal to
>> a pair of M-AUDIO powered monitors). I don't have this problem when my
>> CD player (just a JVC stereo-system CD player - not one on the computer)
>> or my DAW are the sources. So, maybe I just have a dirty little onboard
>> sound card (whatever that really means).
>>
>> Do you know what this IEC958 is? If I don't have that as a slider in
>> alsamixer do I not have to concern myself with it.
>>

> IEC958 is generally the digital audio feature (if your board has one).

In alsamixer my card comes up as 'Intel 8280 1BA-ICH2'.

> Many onboard audio devices are really badly designed and have insufficient
> power isolation, which means you get lots of noise.
>
> If you were using the digital output it should elliminate that of course,
> assuming you have one.

I have three ports only: red (with a mic icon), green (icon of musical
note and arrow away from note), and blue (icon of musical note and arrow
toward the note). I'm assuming these are mic in, spkr out, and line in,
respectively.

> I have in the past encountered onboard sounds that clearly let you hear
> the HD accesses, the network packets, the mouse cursor moving, etc.
> It was quite awful.  Higher end boards tend to have much better onboard
> audio designs, although a good add in card will generally be much better,
> although if you could use the digital output instead it shouldn't matter.
> That of course means the other end needs a digital audio input.

I doubt my little on board sound card has a digital out. At the other
end the MACKIE BIG KNOB does not. The digital my DAW has is firewire but
I don't want to run every source in my studio through the NRV10 - that
the BIG KNOB's job.

Anyway, I seem to have a /little/ more headroom (if that's the right
word) by following the steps at
http://www.webupd8.org/2009/08/increase-maximum-sound-level-in-ubuntu.html
that John McGregor suggested.

Thanks for the information, Lennart.