turn up volume on soundcard software

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 18 15:57:50 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 03:08:44PM -0500, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I don't have a slider for IEC958. I don't' know what that is.
>>

> Some sound chips need 'Front' turned up.  Also remember to unmute master
> if it defaults to muted.

I don't see a 'FRONT' slider. The 'Master's are '00' not 'MM' (which, I
assume is the mute feature). I may be expecting too much from an on
board sound card. The sound engineer that gets me my recording equipment
(and gives me support) is trying to help me eliminate a high-pitch
squeal (I don't know if that's the best descriptor - it's kind of like a
high-pitch tinnitus whine, which is doubly no-fun for me as I actually
have tinnitus) that I get when my linux computer is the source going
into my MACKIE BIG KNOB studio command system (which sends the signal to
a pair of M-AUDIO powered monitors). I don't have this problem when my
CD player (just a JVC stereo-system CD player - not one on the computer)
or my DAW are the sources. So, maybe I just have a dirty little onboard
sound card (whatever that really means).

Do you know what this IEC958 is? If I don't have that as a slider in
alsamixer do I not have to concern myself with it.

Chris