WorldGaming is looking for a Sr. Linux System Administrator

Ijaaz A. Ullah ijaaz-UwkSZrAjFfdkDLQDXwjzI9BPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 14 18:30:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Digimer <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Ijaaz A. Ullah wrote:
>>
>> I've posted this to the classified section on the wiki, but I figured
>> that it'd hit more people this way.
>>
>> WorldGaming (www.worldgaming.com)  is a social networking site for
>> console video gamers.
>>
>> (Xbox, PS3, etc) to meet one-another, talk smack, schedule games, and
>> participate in head-to-head games and multi-player tournaments for
>> pride, cash and prizes.  We are a Toronto based startup, with a
>> growing community in North America and Europe, and expansion plans
>> into Central and South America and Asia.  We are looking for a
>> seasoned Linux Administrator to join our team and help us continue to
>> mature and grow our environments.
>>
>> At WorldGaming you will work with other smart, passionate,
>> collaborative and fun people who share your passion for technology.
>>
>> As the Linux Administrator you will be responsible for day to day
>> management of the WorldGaming systems (production, staging, QA,
>> development and corporate IT) . This includes Linux Servers (CentOS),
>> Load Balancers, NAS, switches, routers and firewall gear.  The
>> software stack includes Apache, Tomcat, PostgreSQL and Terracotta.
>> You’ll work on clustering and HA solutions, performance tuning,
>> 24x7x365 (or x366 during a leap year) systems in a b2c space.
>>
>> Requirements:
>>
>> - Must have enterprise hands-on experience building, configuring and
>> maintaining a high-availability enterprise Linux environment utilizing
>> Apache, Tomcat, SSL and load balancing
>> - Knowledge of networking architectures and protocols and
>> troubleshooting tools, ethereal, Wireshark, etc
>> - Network and system performance tuning
>> - Comfortable running cables, racking/building servers, and
>> troubleshooting hardware issues.
>> - Experience managing network devices including switches, routers,
>> firewalls, VPNs, load balancers, etc
>> - Has implemented Bcfg2, Cfengine or puppet in a production environment
>> - Familiar with VMware/Xen virtulization
>> - Configured Postfix/Sendmail in HA environment.
>> - Familiar with Bugzilla, SVN, Nagios, Cacti, shell scripting, LDAP
>> and Kerberos.  We are open source friendly.
>> - Experience with databases, namely PostgreSQL
>> - Participate in the on-call rotation for after hours incident resolution
>> - 5+ years of progressive experience in system administration in a
>> distributed Unix/Linux environment
>> - RHCE would be an asset
>> - A College diploma or University degree or relevant job experience in
>> computer science or engineering
>>
>> To apply, send your resume to jobs-92JtoIHL8UDwvR0lvYjcXw at public.gmane.org
>
> Sounds like a fun job. That's quite the requirements list though; Might help
> garner responses by mentioning in the ad the compensation range you're
> offering.
>
> Cheers, and best of luck.

Thanks.  It's company policy not to post salary ranges for any jobs.

Since I'm the one who's currently doing this job, I have a good idea of what
it should pay and can make a good decision based on the applicant.  i.e. I'm
not expecting someone to come in meeting the majority of these requirements
and only offer them 60k :)