Old Device, seeking Clarification as to What exactly it is.

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 13 02:14:02 UTC 2010

There used to be tons of these kinds of instruments for troubleshooting
televisions and radios. Back in the days of tubes, every small town (in my
case, Schomberg) had at least one radio/tv repair shop. This device is a
pot-pourri of aids for troubleshooting.

It would include a 'signal injector' for inserting an audio or rf signal
into the tv or radio, and then some kind of detector so you could isolate
the defective stage.

Some of these units included substitution circuitry, such as an audio
amplifier and speaker.

Unfortunately, unlike some old scopes and voltmeters, this is not very
useful except possibly as a prop in a (dated) science lab.

The BAMA (boat anchor manual archive) has information on contemporaneous
equipment, possibly even this one.

You can read about scopes of that era in a paper I wrote:
Oscilloscope Development, 1943-1957
http://www.syscompdesign.com/AppNote.html#TestEquip

Peter

> This Old device has found it's way onto my desk.
>
> http://openrebel.ss.org/images/what-is-this-device.jpg
> (sorry about the flash, model is 174 A)
>
> With no visual display I'm uncertain if it's a signal generator, strange
> oscilloscope or any even more bizarre Millimeter.
>
> Love to hear some Guesses, and maybe some answers.
>
> --
> Scott Sullivan

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325