LUG'ers on the other side of the world

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 11 20:00:10 UTC 2010

On 11 February 2010 14:12, Yanni Chiu <yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I came across this site for Beijing Linux User Group:
>    http://www.beijinglug.org
>
> Interesting to see what events they have:
>
>    "... Coding for Fun is happening on our now regular 1st Saturday of the
> month schedule. So if you're in a mood to meet up with like minded people,
> please bring your project whether it be soft or hardware and start hacking
> away on it."

Great idea, but ... here's our problem:

"Exoweb is happy to host this event and will take care of drinks as usual."

We need a place, and we don't really have one.  Drinks would be great
too, but that's not the point: finding the space for any kind of LUG
event in Toronto seems to be difficult (from what I've heard, I
haven't tried or been part of the process).

If anyone has ideas, I'm all for it.  When I lived in Georgia, we
would occasionally have "Hack Days" which were a more general version
of the same thing: bring a Linux-related project of any description
(install, coding, hardware revision ...) and work on it in company.
It creates a really great atmosphere.  You'll probably get less done
than you hoped to, but the insights offered by others more than make
up for it.  Space and bandwidth was often provided by local
universities, but letting "hackers" on your network doesn't seem to
fly up here.  And space is often considered to be "monetized."  <sigh>

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org